Friday, January 16, 2009

We're Here!!!!!


Greetings from the Dominican Republic!! It's 1:00am here and before I fall into bed, I thought I would take a minute to post some pictures from an absolutely wonderful first day of our trip.

As you have read from Heather's posts, we had as close to a perfect travel day as one would hope for. Everyone was in good spirits, our flights were both on time, our gates were close, we had time to eat at the airport.....and most of all, we were sooooooooo excited to finally touch town in the Dominican Republic at 3pm on the dot, 5 minutes ahead of schedule! The captain welcomed us as we landed, letting us know that the temperature here in Santo Domingo was currently 91 degrees! Yes!!! Off went the sweatshirts. Bring on the sunshine!!

We breezed through customs in just under an hour...and thanks to Sun, we even saved $10 because he didn't have to buy a tourist card seeing as he has a passport from Korea. Everyone's luggage arrived (all 36 bags) and in good condition too. And then we were all set and ready to meet the Logos students finally in person. Within seconds, I could tell that we are going to have an incredible bond with this year's Logos team. They were waiting for us with a huge "Welcome Dayton!" sign and balloons...and they cheered as soon as they saw us!! As each person was introduced face to face to their host student, smiles and hugs were seen all across the group! I breathed a sigh of relief (and I think our students did too) knowing that this is going to be a great group and we have many wonderful bonding moments ahead of us! Each student got on the bus with their Logos student and spent the next 45 minutes getting to know each other as we drove to the school. I love the sound of teenage chatter and laughter...especially in two different languages.

Upon arriving to the school, we unloaded the bus and I gave instructions for the morning before they could leave with their host families. I hugged each student as they left and wished them a fun filled night....and reminded them that they could call me any time if they needed anything. They didn't linger long when I said they could go because I think everyone was eager and excited to meet their new Dominican family. I'm not sure who was more excited, the DC team or the Logos team. Perhaps it was a tie... :)

As for tomorrow, we will be meeting at the school at 7:30am to do elementary and high school chapel. Each drama team will be presenting their best skit and I will be speaking from Isaiah 6 (where our team verse is found) and then tying it all together. I think I'm a little more nervous that they are pulling out my Spanish skills in a formal setting not even 24 hours after getting into the country. After chapel, we will be going on a tour of the city, eating at Pollo Victorina (which is kinda like Chic-Fil-A) and then going SHOPPING at the market!! Should be a great time afternoon, one that we all are very much looking forward to.

Ok, well enough talking now, Miss Stolar...how about some pictures, right? After all, pictures tell it even better than words could ever say!!!



"Welcome to Santo Domingo"




Off the plane and headed to customs...




Still going...




At baggage claim...
Happy that everything made it!!




Outside the Dominican airport!!
Nothing but blue skies...



Our official Logos welcome!!





DC & Logos!! Together at last!!




Logos Christian School




Getting our bags off the bus...



Going home with the host families!!!



2 comments:

  1. i love that last picture u took! :) it's awesomee.! btw, im so glad u guys came! i was really really excited! :). i feel soo nice being next to you all! God bless u all! (k)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!!! Glad you had a good trip. Enjoy the weather for me!

    ReplyDelete