It's Sunday morning here in the DR. Outside, I hear the soothing sounds of a peaceful morning rain...and 80's music. (Um, yeah. The neighbors next door to Myrna's house had a big party late into the night that included karaoke. I guess a few of them are up and at it again this morning. "New Kids On The Block"...seriously??)
Thought I'd give you all a quick update before I head off to church...
Friday night, we had a get together in the home of Juan Marcos (where Josh S is staying.) Laughter and pizza were the main course items and everyone seemed to dig right in. (And get this, they serve corn on pizza here in the DR... and it's good too!) After eating as much "Pala Pizza" as we could, we divided into four groups (Dominicans & Americans all mixed up) and began teaching each other their own language. (The teacher in me can't help but bring in some Spanish language education, you know.) I started off easy and gave them "numbers, colors and days of the week." Twenty minutes later, we were back together for a language competition game between the four teams -- Team One: The Eliminators, Team Two: Muy Rica, Team Three: The Supercharged and Team Four: Los Chimichurris -- all competing for the coveted prize of jolly ranchers!! By the end of the evening, everyone had their numbers, colors and days of the week down pat...and even a tongue twister in the other language. And then a winner was announced for round one -- MUY RICA!!! More competition will take place between the teams once we get to Jarabacoa, but this team won the first round...and the jolly ranchers, which they will receive on the bus this afternoon when we head to Jarabacoa. At the end of the evening, we sang together as a group...the song "Bind Us Together." This too is one of my traditions every year. I expected this to be wild and crazy this year since we have such a huge group, but I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly they all picked it up (even the hand motions) and how wonderful it sounded with all 54 of us singing together! A true indication of a great start to a great year!!
Well, I should close now as we are soon heading off to church. It may be a couple of days before I am able to get to the computer again since we are going to Jarabacoa this afternoon. I will try to call Heather and give her some info to put on the blog and I will be calling the parents' phone chain tomorrow evening as well so that you will all know that we are safe and sound...and still having a wonderful time! Adios for now....
Thought I'd give you all a quick update before I head off to church...
Friday night, we had a get together in the home of Juan Marcos (where Josh S is staying.) Laughter and pizza were the main course items and everyone seemed to dig right in. (And get this, they serve corn on pizza here in the DR... and it's good too!) After eating as much "Pala Pizza" as we could, we divided into four groups (Dominicans & Americans all mixed up) and began teaching each other their own language. (The teacher in me can't help but bring in some Spanish language education, you know.) I started off easy and gave them "numbers, colors and days of the week." Twenty minutes later, we were back together for a language competition game between the four teams -- Team One: The Eliminators, Team Two: Muy Rica, Team Three: The Supercharged and Team Four: Los Chimichurris -- all competing for the coveted prize of jolly ranchers!! By the end of the evening, everyone had their numbers, colors and days of the week down pat...and even a tongue twister in the other language. And then a winner was announced for round one -- MUY RICA!!! More competition will take place between the teams once we get to Jarabacoa, but this team won the first round...and the jolly ranchers, which they will receive on the bus this afternoon when we head to Jarabacoa. At the end of the evening, we sang together as a group...the song "Bind Us Together." This too is one of my traditions every year. I expected this to be wild and crazy this year since we have such a huge group, but I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly they all picked it up (even the hand motions) and how wonderful it sounded with all 54 of us singing together! A true indication of a great start to a great year!!
Well, I should close now as we are soon heading off to church. It may be a couple of days before I am able to get to the computer again since we are going to Jarabacoa this afternoon. I will try to call Heather and give her some info to put on the blog and I will be calling the parents' phone chain tomorrow evening as well so that you will all know that we are safe and sound...and still having a wonderful time! Adios for now....



This has been so much fun checking the BLOG to see what is happening in the DR...Have a wonderful time in Jarabacoa our prayers will be with you all...God Bless The Schindlers
ReplyDeleteThis has been so much fun checking the BLOG everyday to see what exciting adventures you all are having in the DR... Have a wonderful time in Jarabacoa... Our prayers are with you.
ReplyDeleteThe Schindlers