Friday, January 22, 2010

Our Last Night All Together


Our time in Jarabacoa is quickly coming to an end. In some ways it seems just like yesterday that we were arriving, settling in and getting to know each other and now we find ourselves at our last evening here. As I type in the quietness of the little porch swing where I am sitting, off in the not too far distance, I hear lots of teenage noise as the two teams are taking advantage of their last moments together here at "Pico Escondido."

We had a great time tonight with our second annual “Dominican Idol” competition. All of the teams did a really great job and it was absolutely hilarious! We heard versions of “Single Ladies”, “Funky Town”, “I Will Survive”, “I’m A Believer”….just to name a few.

After “Dominican Idol” was over, we had a time of sharing with one another about the things that we have experienced together this past week. This was a really neat time that last over an hour and a half. The team talked about the things that they learned, the things they appreciated about each other and the things that touched their hearts and changed their lives during their time together.

After taking some time to pray and thank God for such a wonderful week, we announced the winner of “Domincan Idol” and our team competitions from this week. The overall winner of our team competitions was the “Verdugos”, followed by “Las Bonitas” (with only three points difference between the two.) Third place went to “The Chipmunks.” Fourth place went to “Eclipse.” Fifth place went to “Disturbed. “ And sixth place went to “Las Rosadas.” (Oh and by the way, first place for “Dominican Idol” went to “Las Bonitas” for their version of “Single Ladies.”)

Before ending our evening tonight, we had some good news to announce to the group. Instead of getting up at 6am tomorrow, we get to sleep in til 6:30am instead!!! It’s really amazing to hear a group of 40+ teenagers hoot and holler in excitement about getting up at 6:30 in morning….but after a whole week of lights on at 6am, we are all super excited about that extra half hour of sleep!!

After breakfast and devotions tomorrow morning, we will need to have all of our bags packed and ready to go since we are leaving right after we get back from our time at the orphanage. We are looking forward to playing with the kids and hugging on them as much as we can before we have to leave between 12:30-1pm tomorrow afternoon. That will be a difficult moment for us all as we hug these precious kids for the last time and say goodbye. These are really special kids and we will miss them a lot.

Ok, well I’d better close this blog for now since it’s time for the guys and girls to head to their respective rooms. I’m not counting on getting a whole lot of sleep tonight since I’m still hearing rumors of “getting the boys back”…but we leaders can dream, right? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment